Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Love in a Baggie

I came across a blog this morning and this was so awesome I thought I would share her idea.....
Homelessness is very relevant in Vegas as summer gets here chances I will see more and more people that are in need.


Have you ever been at a stop sign or red light and seen a homeless person with a sign asking for help. If you are like me you never know what you should do. Should I dig through my ash tray and find them change, give them the five I have in my wallet that I was going to go get a cup of tea with, go get them food and come back. Do I make eye contact or don't make eye contact. In all honestly my heart usually sinks for these people. I wonder what got them to this place in their life a lost job, a lost loved one, depression, drugs, but then I just drive away and get on with my day in my expensive Land Rover to my warm house filled with clothes and food and all that I "have". It sucks. In those moments I feel like I should do something but that requires getting out of my comfort Zone and really having a plan when this happens so today I found this on a woman's blog so tomorrow when I go grocery shopping I will be picking up large baggies and putting together several baggies to carry in my car to hand to the homeless with a not included telling them about Jesus's love for them.......How about you.......


What you need::
*plastic freezer bags
*non-perishable food items (ex. individual applesauce, granola bar, peanut butter sandwich cookies, bottled water etc.)
*plastic eating utensils if needed
*individual wipes
*a note

What to do::
Fill each freezer bag with your items. You can put more things like travel toothpaste/brush, travel deodorant, socks and so on. Take some time to prayerfully think out what you write on the notes you'll place in the bags. You can include information to an organization that will help those in need physically and spiritually.

Most times we see people in need as we come off the fwy. We know not to give them money and some of us have a van full of kids as we wonder what to do. This doesn't replace listening to the Holy Spirit telling us to stop and physically go over and minister to them. If that's what you "know" you should do than DO IT! If not these bags can be quickly given instead of money. If the wait is longer, than try to communicate God's love and hope with them face to face while you're at the red light.

There's all different ways to make these bags and use them as a tool of spreading hope to others. You can do it alone, as a group or as a family.

Be prayerful and creative as you spread the hope of Jesus in 2010.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

I love this idea Didi.... I don't really encounter this situation very often where I am, but when I lived/workd in the city i dealt with more often. I love this idea because it shows that everyone can do SOMETHING even if you're not comfortable with getting out of the car to help. I think thats a dangerous proposition for a woman who's alone in the car or with children. But this way, everyone can safely help, even in a small way. It conveys caring, compassion, love. Pretty sure those are high on Jesus' "to do" list to us all!!

Thanks again for sharing... Love & miss you my friend!

Sandy M.

Marinda said...

I LOVE this idea! I see them at least once a week and HATE that I never have change or cash or FOOD. Now I can be prepared :)